The continents are the divisions of the terrestrial space elaborated by man to better understand it. These are large land masses that are separated by the oceans. Thus, according to the current division, there are six main continents: America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania and Antarctica.
Next, we will see the characteristics of each of the continents, organized from the largest to the smallest (click on the names of each continent for more details):
1st Asia – In addition to being the largest of the continents, it is also the one with the largest population on the planet. Its total area is almost 45 million km² and the current population is estimated at 4.5 billion people. It is in Asia that we find the highest point in the world, Mount Everest, with 8,848m high.
Among the 53 countries that are part of Asia, we can mention: China, India and most of Russia. It also contains a region that presents the most conflicting political relations in the world: the Middle East.
2nd America – The second largest continent in the world, with a total area of 42 million km², is generally divided into three parts: North America, South America and Central America. Another division form separates the continent between Anglo-Saxon America and Latin America. The total population of that continent is estimated at approximately 1 billion inhabitants.
The continent we live in, America
Among the 35 countries that make up America, we can mention: United States, Mexico and Canada, in North America; Haiti, Cuba and Jamaica, in Central America; Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay, in South America.
3rd Africa – The African continent is one of those with the greatest number of ethnic groups in the entire planet. Before colonization by Europeans, there were more than two thousand different civilizations! Its territorial extension is over 30 million km² and the population is estimated at 1.2 billion inhabitants. See more countries and population details on Countryaah.
It is the continent that has the largest number of countries: 54, in total. Among them, we can highlight Egypt, Tunisia, Nigeria and South Africa.
4th Antarctica (Antarctica): also called “South Pole”, it is the fourth largest continent in the world, with approximately 14 million km². Its area is divided among several countries in the world, which carry out research and scientific studies.
Contrary to what many people imagine, this continent is formed not only by ice, but also by a large amount of land (unlike the North Pole, which is formed only by polar caps). There is life in Antarctica, which houses the famous Penguins, among many other species that can resist the extreme cold!
5th Europe: despite being one of the smallest continents in the world, Europe is the most important politically. It was from it that the capitalist system and its economic, social, political and cultural values were constituted and expanded. The sciences are also, for the most part, from that continent, because it was there that the Greeks created Philosophy.
Its territorial extension is over 10 million km² and the population is approximately 800 million inhabitants.
Among the 49 countries that make up Europe, we can mention: England, Germany, France, Portugal, Spain and many others.
6th Oceania: it is called by the Europeans a “brand new world”, as it was the last place on Earth to be colonized by them. It has 14 countries spread over more than 8 million km². Most of them are formed by archipelagos (set of islands). The total population of that continent is approximately 40 million people.
All Countries in Africa
All Countries in Asia
All Countries in Europe
All Countries in Oceania
All Countries in North America
All Countries in South America
Among the countries that are part of Oceania, we can highlight Australia, New Zealand and Tahiti.
Curiosities about the continents:
– There is only one city in the world that is found on two continents, it is the city of Istanbul, located in Turkey. It is located on the European and Asian continents
– In a remote past, before men existed, the continents were just one: the Pangeia, which, thanks to the movements of the Tectonic Plates, divided and originated the current continental portions.
– Some researchers do not consider Antarctica as a continent, but as a continental area.
– The North Pole is not a continent, as there is no strip of land, only ice.
– The name “America” was created in honor of Américo Vespúcio, as this was the first navigator to discover that this continent was not part of Asia, as Europeans imagined.
The 50 countries with the lowest external debt in the world
|Rank||Country||Foreign debt ($)|
|3||Equatorial Guinea (Africa)||381,000,000|
|4||Aruba (North America)||469,000,000|
|5||Suriname (South America)||562,000,000|
|10||Haiti (North America)||1,446,000,000|
|12||Papua New Guinea (Australia-Oceania)||1,647,000,000|
|21||Trinidad and Tobago (North America)||2,886,000,000|
|22||Nicaragua (North America)||2,943,000,000|
|24||Bosnia and Herzegovina (Europe)||3,360,000,000|
|27||Paraguay (South America)||3,688,000,000|
|33||Costa Rica (North America)||5,272,000,000|
|38||Guatemala (North America)||5,744,000,000|
|41||Honduras (North America)||6,072,000,000|
|43||Bolivia (South America)||6,970,000,000|
|47||Dominican Republic (North America)||7,682,000,000|
|49||Tanzania, United Republic of (Africa)||8,462,000,000|
|50||Jamaica (North America)||8,464,000,000|
|Foreign debt is a collective term for all short-, medium- and long-term obligations / liabilities of an economy to foreign countries from trade and payment transactions as well as from political obligations, such as B. Reparations.|
- Holidays in Hungary May 20, 2022 - Hungary is an amazing European country, colorful, classic and unusual at the same time. Holidays in Hungary are striking in their diversity - it can be sightseeing, therapeutic and even beach. Advantages and disadvantages Advantages… Continue Reading
- Cancun and Mexico City May 13, 2022 - Mexico city Mexico City is the capital of the country and one of the most densely populated cities in the world. It has absorbed many cultural traditions and combines ancient monuments, parks, busy streets and… Continue Reading
- Albania Attractions May 6, 2022 - City of Korca worth seeing Korça, first mentioned in writing in 1510, is considered the “cradle of Albanian culture. Worth seeing is the Mirahor Mosque (1466), the country's oldest single-dome mosque; Furthermore, the National Museum… Continue Reading
- Samoa Geography and Climate May 1, 2022 - When we talk about American Samoa, we mean the part of the Samoa Islands in Polynesia that is considered an American territory. According to the UN, this is a non-autonomous area and in practical terms,… Continue Reading
- About Costa Rica April 22, 2022 - In a small area of Costa Rica, a huge number of natural complexes have managed to fit in, which are rarely found in countries of a much larger size. Here you can see the unique… Continue Reading
- Tours to Portugal April 15, 2022 - Tours to Portugal, to that rare land where everyone can find something for themselves: untouched landscapes, striking with amazing diversity, so atypical for a state with a small territory, and majestic monuments of the past… Continue Reading
- Ski Resorts in Japan April 8, 2022 - Niseko Niseko is a famous ski resort in Japan, located on the island of Hokkaido. Cold winters and an abundance of snow attract skiers and snowboarders from all over the world. The highest height is… Continue Reading
- Haifa and Eilat, Israel April 1, 2022 - Haifa The northern capital of Israel, located on the spurs of Mount Carmel along the shores of the Mediterranean Sea. 5 kilometers of beaches, some of the cleanest and most beautiful in Israel, and the… Continue Reading
- Tours to Lebanon March 25, 2022 - Tours to Lebanon is a trip to a "country-monument", located on the spurs of the mountains approaching the shores of the Mediterranean Sea. Holidays in Lebanon attract tourists from all over the world for several… Continue Reading
- Mauritius Tourist Information March 18, 2022 - Mauritius is an amazing and small island country in the heart of the Indian Ocean, which every year is gaining more and more popularity among European tourists, but at the same time it is not… Continue Reading