The continents are the divisions of the terrestrial space elaborated by man to better understand it. These are large land masses that are separated by the oceans. Thus, according to the current division, there are six main continents: America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania and Antarctica.
Next, we will see the characteristics of each of the continents, organized from the largest to the smallest (click on the names of each continent for more details):
1st Asia – In addition to being the largest of the continents, it is also the one with the largest population on the planet. Its total area is almost 45 million km² and the current population is estimated at 4.5 billion people. It is in Asia that we find the highest point in the world, Mount Everest, with 8,848m high.
Among the 53 countries that are part of Asia, we can mention: China, India and most of Russia. It also contains a region that presents the most conflicting political relations in the world: the Middle East.
View Articles by Continent
2nd America – The second largest continent in the world, with a total area of 42 million km², is generally divided into three parts: North America, South America and Central America. Another division form separates the continent between Anglo-Saxon America and Latin America. The total population of that continent is estimated at approximately 1 billion inhabitants.
The continent we live in, America
Among the 35 countries that make up America, we can mention: United States, Mexico and Canada, in North America; Haiti, Cuba and Jamaica, in Central America; Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay, in South America.
3rd Africa – The African continent is one of those with the greatest number of ethnic groups in the entire planet. Before colonization by Europeans, there were more than two thousand different civilizations! Its territorial extension is over 30 million km² and the population is estimated at 1.2 billion inhabitants. See more countries and population details on Countryaah.
It is the continent that has the largest number of countries: 54, in total. Among them, we can highlight Egypt, Tunisia, Nigeria and South Africa.
4th Antarctica (Antarctica): also called “South Pole”, it is the fourth largest continent in the world, with approximately 14 million km². Its area is divided among several countries in the world, which carry out research and scientific studies.
Contrary to what many people imagine, this continent is formed not only by ice, but also by a large amount of land (unlike the North Pole, which is formed only by polar caps). There is life in Antarctica, which houses the famous Penguins, among many other species that can resist the extreme cold!
5th Europe: despite being one of the smallest continents in the world, Europe is the most important politically. It was from it that the capitalist system and its economic, social, political and cultural values were constituted and expanded. The sciences are also, for the most part, from that continent, because it was there that the Greeks created Philosophy.
Its territorial extension is over 10 million km² and the population is approximately 800 million inhabitants.
Among the 49 countries that make up Europe, we can mention: England, Germany, France, Portugal, Spain and many others.
6th Oceania: it is called by the Europeans a “brand new world”, as it was the last place on Earth to be colonized by them. It has 14 countries spread over more than 8 million km². Most of them are formed by archipelagos (set of islands). The total population of that continent is approximately 40 million people.
All Countries in Africa
All Countries in Asia
All Countries in Europe
All Countries in Oceania
All Countries in North America
All Countries in South America
Among the countries that are part of Oceania, we can highlight Australia, New Zealand and Tahiti.
Curiosities about the continents:
– There is only one city in the world that is found on two continents, it is the city of Istanbul, located in Turkey. It is located on the European and Asian continents
– In a remote past, before men existed, the continents were just one: the Pangeia, which, thanks to the movements of the Tectonic Plates, divided and originated the current continental portions.
– Some researchers do not consider Antarctica as a continent, but as a continental area.
– The North Pole is not a continent, as there is no strip of land, only ice.
– The name “America” was created in honor of Américo Vespúcio, as this was the first navigator to discover that this continent was not part of Asia, as Europeans imagined.
The 50 countries with the lowest external debt in the world
|Rank||Country||Foreign debt ($)|
|3||Equatorial Guinea (Africa)||381,000,000|
|4||Aruba (North America)||469,000,000|
|5||Suriname (South America)||562,000,000|
|10||Haiti (North America)||1,446,000,000|
|12||Papua New Guinea (Australia-Oceania)||1,647,000,000|
|21||Trinidad and Tobago (North America)||2,886,000,000|
|22||Nicaragua (North America)||2,943,000,000|
|24||Bosnia and Herzegovina (Europe)||3,360,000,000|
|27||Paraguay (South America)||3,688,000,000|
|33||Costa Rica (North America)||5,272,000,000|
|38||Guatemala (North America)||5,744,000,000|
|41||Honduras (North America)||6,072,000,000|
|43||Bolivia (South America)||6,970,000,000|
|47||Dominican Republic (North America)||7,682,000,000|
|49||Tanzania, United Republic of (Africa)||8,462,000,000|
|50||Jamaica (North America)||8,464,000,000|
|Foreign debt is a collective term for all short-, medium- and long-term obligations / liabilities of an economy to foreign countries from trade and payment transactions as well as from political obligations, such as B. Reparations.|
- Atlanta, Georgia December 1, 2022 - According to growtheology, Atlanta is the perfect city for any America lover. Whether you are interested in American history, like American sports or like to soak up American culture: Atlanta has it all! Georgia's largest… Continue Reading
- Entertainment and Attractions in Seoul, South Korea November 25, 2022 - Seoul is a city of contrasts. Business centers have come close to ancient temples, historical sights are surrounded by a scattering of high-rise buildings, and ultra-modern junctions around the corner are replaced by peaceful park… Continue Reading
- Spindlerov Mlyn, Czech Republic November 18, 2022 - According to wholevehicles, Spindlerov Mlyn is the most popular Czech ski resort located in the north of the country near the Polish border. In the 16th century silver was mined in these places, and at… Continue Reading
- Things to Do in Genk, Belgium November 11, 2022 - According to Computerminus, Genk is centrally located in the Belgian province of Limburg and is the second largest city in this province in terms of population. Only neighboring city Hasselt has more inhabitants. Genk is… Continue Reading
- Landmarks of Malaga, Spain November 4, 2022 - The Spanish city of Málaga is located in Andalusia; the southernmost part of Spain. Málaga is often visited by tourists who can appreciate the old buildings, the nostalgic squares and the Spanish culture. Málaga attracts… Continue Reading
- US 62 and 63 in Missouri October 30, 2022 - US 62 in Missouri US 62 Begin Campbell End Cairo Length 87 mi Length 140 km Route Arkansas Campbell Malden New Madrid Sikeston Charleston Illinois According to Iamaccepted, US 62 is a US Highway in… Continue Reading
- Garden State Parkway, New Jersey October 29, 2022 - SR-444 Get started Cape May End nanuet Length 172 mi Length 277 km Route 0 Cape May 4 Wildwood 6 Burleigh 9 Cape May Courthouse 10 Stone Harbor 13 Avalon 17 Sea Isle City… Continue Reading
- Hawaii History October 28, 2022 - Reconstructed Polynesian Sailing Canoe in Honolulu Harbor Iolani Palace in Honolulu, the only former royal palace in the United States According to a2zcamerablog, Hawaii has been known since about 400 AD. inhabited by Polynesians, probably… Continue Reading
- Interstate 85 and 885 in North Carolina October 27, 2022 - North Carolina Interstate 85 Business I-85 Bus. Get started Lexington End greensboro Length 44 mi Length 70 km Route → Charlotte 84 Linwood 85 Green Needles Road 86 Salisbury Road 87 → Winston Salem Old… Continue Reading
- US 259 and 270 in Oklahoma October 26, 2022 - US 259 in Oklahoma US 259 Get started Harris End Page Length 99 mi Length 159 km Route Texas Idabel Page According to act-test-centers, US 259 is a US Highway in the US state of… Continue Reading