Inman, Kansas is a small town located in McPherson county. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Kansas. The population of Inman is approximately 1,500 people according to the most recent census. It is a rural community that is known for its strong agricultural heritage. The geography of Inman consists of rolling hills and prairie land with the Smoky Hill River running through it. The climate in Inman is typical for the Great Plains region with hot summers and cold winters.
In terms of history, Inman was founded in 1885 by German immigrants who were looking for a new life in America. They established a thriving farming community that still exists today. Politically, Inman has always been strongly Republican and has voted overwhelmingly Republican since the mid-20th century.
The economy of Inman has always been based on agriculture with wheat being the primary crop grown in the area. Other crops include corn and soybeans as well as hay and alfalfa for livestock feed. There are also several small businesses including retail stores, restaurants, and service businesses that serve the community’s needs.
In terms of schools, there is one elementary school located in town as well as a high school located just outside of town limits. Both schools are part of the McPherson County School District which serves students from surrounding towns as well as from Inman itself.
As far as landmarks go, one of the most recognizable landmarks in town is St Mary’s Catholic Church which was built in 1895 and still stands today. Another notable landmark is the old stone bridge that crosses over the Smoky Hill River just outside of town limits which was built by German immigrants when they first arrived to settle in Inman back in 1885.
Population: 1,142. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,194 (+4.6% change)
Males: 552 (48.3%), Females: 590 (51.7%)
Zip code: 67546
Median resident age: 41.5 years
Median household income: $31,648
Median house value: $77,700
Races in Inman:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.8%)
- Hispanic (1.4%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (43.4%), United States (8.2%), Dutch (8.1%), English (7.7%), Irish (7.6%), Russian (3.1%).
Elevation: 1527 feet
Land area: 0.5 square miles
Inman, Kansas is a small town of approximately 1,000 people located in McPherson County. It is a rural farming community that relies heavily on agriculture for its livelihood. The median household income in Inman is around $50,000 per year, with the majority of the population being employed in either farming or related agricultural industries. The cost of living in Inman is relatively low compared to other parts of Kansas and the United States as a whole. The average price for a three bedroom home is around $90,000 and utilities are quite affordable. Groceries are also reasonably priced and there are several local stores to choose from. The town also has an active school district with two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. There are many churches scattered throughout the town as well offering various services to its residents. Additionally, there are several recreational opportunities available including golf courses, parks, and lakes for fishing and boating. All in all, Inman offers its residents a safe and affordable place to live while still providing plenty of amenities to keep them entertained and fulfilled.
For population 25 years and over in Inman
- High school or higher: 85.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.7%
- Unemployed: 2.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Inman city
- Never married: 14.6%
- Now married: 68.8%
- Separated: 0.2%
- Widowed: 11.7%
- Divorced: 4.7%
0.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +102 (+9.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Inman:
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; MCPHERSON, KS)
- HUTCHINSON HOSPITAL CORPORATION (about 15 miles; HUTCHINSON, KS)
- MERCY HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; MOUNDRIDGE, KS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Inman:
- HUTCHINSON MUNI (about 14 miles; HUTCHINSON, KS; Abbreviation: HUT)
- SALINA MUNI (about 39 miles; SALINA, KS; Abbreviation: SLN)
- WICHITA MID-CONTINENT (about 48 miles; WICHITA, KS; Abbreviation: ICT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Inman:
- MC PHERSON (about 11 miles; MC PHERSON, KS; Abbreviation: MPR)
- MOUNDRIDGE MUNI (about 19 miles; MOUNDRIDGE, KS; Abbreviation: 47K)
- LYONS-RICE COUNTY MUNI (about 32 miles; LYONS, KS; Abbreviation: LYO)
Amtrak station near Inman:
- 17 miles: HUTCHINSON (3RD & WALNUT STS.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Inman:
- HUTCHINSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 18 miles; HUTCHINSON, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,268)
- WICHITA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; WICHITA, KS; Full-time enrollment: 10,403)
- FRIENDS UNIVERSITY (about 48 miles; WICHITA, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,983)
- BUTLER COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 70 miles; EL DORADO, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,250)
- BARTON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 71 miles; GREAT BEND, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,268)
- COWLEY COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 96 miles; ARKANSAS CITY, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,392)
- KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 106 miles; MANHATTAN, KS; Full-time enrollment: 19,210)
Public high school in Inman:
- INMAN JR/SR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 228; Location: 404 S MAIN; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Inman:
- INMAN ELEM (Students: 222; Location: 207 N MAPLE; Grades: KG – 06)
Library in Inman:
- INMAN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $24,451; Location: 100 N. MAIN; 15,602 books; 101 audio materials; 197 video materials; 22 serial subscriptions)