According to Diseaseslearning, Silsbee, Texas is a small city located in Hardin County, Texas. It is situated among rolling hills and pine forests, with the Neches River running through it. The climate in Silsbee is typical of East Texas, with hot summers and mild winters. The average temperature in the summer is around 90 degrees Fahrenheit, while in the winter it rarely drops below freezing.
The history of Silsbee dates back to the early 1800s when settlers began to move into the area and establish farms. In 1882, Silsbee was officially incorporated as a city and has been steadily growing ever since. Politically speaking, Silsbee leans conservatively and has seen a Republican majority for many years.
Economically speaking, Silsbee’s main industries are oil production and agriculture. There are several oil refineries located nearby that provide jobs for many of its citizens. Agriculture also plays an important role in the economy; corn, cotton, hay, soybeans, sorghum and wheat are all grown in abundance throughout Hardin County.
Silsbee is home to several schools including two elementary schools (Garrett Elementary School and Jones-Clark Elementary School), one middle school (Kirby Middle School), one high school (Silsbee High School) as well as several private schools such as St Paul Lutheran School and Central Baptist Christian Academy. All of these schools offer quality education to the students of Silsbee.
When it comes to landmarks there are a few that stand out including the historic Neches Hotel which was built in 1903; it’s now used as a bed & breakfast establishment with beautiful views of downtown Silsbee from its rooftop terrace. Another popular landmark is Broussard’s Old Mill which was built back in 1846; this mill has been preserved for over 150 years and still produces organic grains today! Lastly there’s the Lumberton Historical Museum which contains artifacts from the area’s logging industry dating back to before World War II; it’s definitely worth a visit if you’re looking for some local history!
Population: 6,393. Estimated population in July 2020: 6,722 (+5.1% change)
Males: 2,960 (46.3%), Females: 3,433 (53.7%)
Zip code: 77656
Median resident age: 37.8 years
Median household income: $33,549
Median house value: $62,900
Races in Silsbee:
- White Non-Hispanic (64.6%)
- Black (32.0%)
- Hispanic (2.4%)
- Other race (0.8%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (13.0%), Irish (7.2%), English (5.7%), German (5.3%), French (3.2%), Scotch-Irish (2.1%).
Elevation: 81 feet
Land area: 7.5 square miles
Silsbee, Texas is a small city located in Hardin County. As of the 2010 census, the population was 5,633. The racial makeup of the city is 67.2% White, 25.8% African American, 0.7% Native American, 0.6% Asian and 4.9% from two or more races. The median household income was $37,154 and per capita income was $17,094 with 19.9% of the population living below the poverty line. Silsbee has an active Chamber of Commerce that works to promote local business and economic development in the area. There are numerous local businesses including restaurants, retail stores, banks and service providers that serve the community’s needs and provide employment opportunities for its citizens. In addition to businesses, there are many recreational activities in Silsbee such as parks & playgrounds for children to enjoy as well as sports leagues for both adults & children alike to participate in and stay active in their community. Moreover, there is a vibrant arts scene with frequent art shows and performances at venues throughout town that serve to bring art & culture into people’s lives on a regular basis. Education is also a priority in Silsbee with several elementary schools providing basic education for younger students while nearby colleges offer higher educational opportunities for those wishing to pursue college degrees or further their career goals within the community or beyond it’s borders.
For population 25 years and over in Silsbee
- High school or higher: 74.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.4%
- Unemployed: 4.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Silsbee city
- Never married: 23.9%
- Now married: 47.5%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 14.5%
- Divorced: 11.8%
3.1% Foreign born (1.9% Latin America, 0.6% Asia, 0.3% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: -166 (-2.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Silsbee:
- CHRISTUS ST ELIZABETH HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; BEAUMONT, TX)
- DUBUIS HOSP OF BEAUMONT (about 19 miles; BEAUMONT, TX)
- HEALTHSOUTH REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; BEAUMONT, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Silsbee:
- SOUTHEAST TEXAS REGIONAL (about 30 miles; BEAUMONT/PORT ARTHUR, TX; Abbreviation: BPT)
- LAKE CHARLES REGIONAL (about 69 miles; LAKE CHARLES, LA; Abbreviation: LCH)
- CHENNAULT INTL (about 74 miles; LAKE CHARLES, LA; Abbreviation: CWF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Silsbee:
- HAWTHORNE FIELD (about 5 miles; KOUNTZE/SILSBEE, TX; Abbreviation: 45R)
- BEAUMONT MUNI (about 20 miles; BEAUMONT, TX; Abbreviation: BMT)
- KIRBYVILLE (about 28 miles; KIRBYVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: T12)
Amtrak station near Silsbee:
- 20 miles: BEAUMONT (2555 W. CEDAR ST.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Silsbee:
- LAMAR UNIVERSITY-BEAUMONT (about 24 miles; BEAUMONT, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,888)
- MCNEESE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 60 miles; LAKE CHARLES, LA; Full-time enrollment: 6,460)
- LEE COLLEGE (about 67 miles; BAYTOWN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,099)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-NORTH CAMPUS (about 78 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,819)
- ANGELINA COLLEGE (about 80 miles; LUFKIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,773)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-CENTRAL CAMPUS (about 83 miles; PASADENA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,102)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-CLEAR LAKE (about 84 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,735)
Public high school in Silsbee:
- SILSBEE H S (Students: 886; Location: 1575 HWY 96 N; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Silsbee:
- EDWARDS-JOHNSON MEMORIAL MIDDLE (Students: 485; Location: 1140 HWY 327 E; Grades: 07 – 08)
- JOHN H KIRBY EL (Students: 470; Location: 1205 N 5TH ST; Grades: 01 – 02)
- READ-TURRENTINE EL (Students: 456; Location: 730 S 7TH ST; Grades: 03 – 04)
- LAURA REEVES EL (Students: 455; Location: 695 WOODROW RD; Grades: 05 – 06)
- ROBINSON KIND (Students: 343; Location: 1355 M L K DR; Grades: PK – KG)
- HARDIN CO ALTER ED (Students: 2; Location: 415 W AVE; Grades: 06 – 12)
Library in Silsbee:
- SILSBEE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $130,429; Location: SANTA FE PARK; 49,572 books; 1,218 audio materials; 635 video materials; 50 serial subscriptions)